UNIFORM FIRE SAFETY STANDARDS FOR CORRECTIONAL FACILITIES
69A-54.005Standards of the National Fire Protection Association Adopted.
These rules comprising Rule Chapter 69A-54, F.A.C., shall be known as the “Uniform Fire Safety Standards for Correctional Facilities.”
Specific Authority 633.01 FS. Law Implemented 633.01, 633.022 FS. History–New 6-6-90, Formerly 4A-54.001.
(1) The purpose of this rule chapter is to establish uniform requirements to provide a reasonable degree of safety from fire in buildings, structures or premises used as correctional facilities.
(2) These rules try to avoid requirements which might result in unreasonable hardships, or unnecessary inconvenience or interference with the normal use and occupancy of correctional facilities, but at the same time insist upon compliance with uniform standards for fire safety consistent with the public interest, even though a financial hardship may result in some individual cases.
Specific Authority 633.01 FS. Law Implemented 633.01, 633.022 FS. History–New 6-6-90, Formerly 4A-54.002.
(1) These rules are concerned with life safety during fires and similar emergencies. They address particular matters such as devices, systems installations, protection, and occupancy of buildings to try to minimize danger to life from fire, smoke, fumes or panic before buildings, structures or premises are vacated.
(2) These rules apply to both new and existing correctional facilities.
Specific Authority 633.01(1) FS. Law Implemented 633.01(1), 633.022(1)(b) FS. History–New 6-6-90, Amended 11-21-01, Formerly 4A-54.003.
(1) “Approved” shall mean accepted by the authority having jurisdiction upon evaluation of compliance with appropriate standards for the product or procedures in question, or by reason of testing and listing or approval by a recognized testing laboratory.
(2) “Authority having jurisdiction” shall refer to a duly authorized representative of an agency or agencies having statutory code enforcement responsibilities.
Specific Authority 633.01(1) FS. Law Implemented 633.01(1), 633.022(1)(b) FS. History–New 6-6-90, Amended 11-21-01, Formerly 4A-54.004.
69A-54.005 Standards of the National Fire Protection Association Adopted.
(1) The Standards of the National Fire Protection Association for life safety from fire, as provided in NFPA 101, Life Safety Code, as adopted in Rule 69A-3.012, F.A.C., and incorporated herein by reference shall be the Uniform Fire Safety Standards for Correctional Facilities.
(2) Buildings or structures which are constructed to compliment other operations associated with correctional facilities shall comply with the applicable requirements of NFPA 101, Life Safety Code, referenced in subsection (1) above.
Specific Authority 633.01 FS. Law Implemented 633.01, 633.022 FS. History–New 6-6-90, Formerly 4A-54.005.
(1) Polyurethane mattresses are prohibited in correctional facilities.
(2) Existing cotton core mattresses, with fire retardant treated cotton, may be used in areas of high risk of intentional ignition or where rescue or evacuation will be impeded. Wherever possible, cover existing cotton mattresses with a fire retardant outer cover.
(3) New purchases of mattresses for new or existing correctional facilities shall be for fire retardant cotton core with durable fire retardant outer coverage, or fiber‑filled material conforming to the flammability requirements set forth in the following standards:
(a) 16 Code of Federal Regulations, Part 1632, revised as of January 1, 2001, which is incorporated herein by reference; or
(b) U.L. Standard 1895, Standard for Fire Test of Mattresses, Third Edition, Dated February 11, 2000, which is incorporated herein by reference, or
(c) ASTM E 906-99, which is incorporated herein by reference.
(4) General Services Standard, 850-500-170 may be obtained by writing to the State Fire Marshal at 200 East Gaines Street, Tallahassee, Florida32399-0340, or by visiting the office of the State Fire Marshal at the Atrium, Third Floor, 325 John Knox Road, Tallahassee, Florida32303.
(5) ASTM E 906 may be obtained by contacting the American National Standards Institute, Inc., 11 West 42nd Street, 13th Floor, New York, New York 10036 or by visiting the office of the State Fire Marshal at the Atrium, Third Floor, 325 John Knox Road, Tallahassee, Florida 32303.
Specific Authority 633.01(1) FS. Law Implemented 633.01(1), 633.022(1)(b) FS. History–New 6-6-90, Amended 4-4-95, 11-21-01, Formerly 4A-54.006.
69A-54.007 Stair Treads.
Stair treads in correctional facilities shall be in compliance with Chapter 22 or 23 of NFPA 101, as applicable, the edition as adopted in Rule 69A-3.012, F.A.C.
Specific Authority 633.01 FS. Law Implemented 633.01(1), 633.022(2) FS. History–New 4-4-95, Amended 11-21-01, Formerly 4A-54.007.